Who am I?

Social Media for the Sophisticated, Seasoned & Scared

Saturday, August 23, 2008

About Me

Fast forward to college, I changed my discipline from broadcast news to broadcast production after having a few internships. The summer before graduation, I worked for the Olympics under the Atlanta Olympic Broadcasting Committee. By this time, I knew I preferred working behind the scenes. After graduation, I worked with a few labels and artists doing freelance PR. From there I went into Corporate America and worked in the Marketing and Advertising departments of a few pretty established companies. After about 5 years of working in Corporate America, I began yearning to work for myself. So I left my job to start my own boutique PR agency. If you are good with math and know what year the Olympics were in Atlanta, you should be able to figure out how recently I launched my firm.

Anyway, for all intensive purposes, this is where my social media story really begins. Since I was a teenager, I never really was too concerned with knowing the ends and outs of how computers or software worked. Even though both my Dad and my Stepfather were IT geniuses, the best they could do for me (back then) was provide software and fix my computer, which I seemed to crash on a annual basis. Then all of a sudden about 2 years ago (2006), I signed a young social media and internet marketing savant named Marco Hansell. He was only 21 but seemed to know an awful lot about where the internet and social media was heading.

At the time when I signed him, it was all I could do to try and keep up with his new discoveries. He kept talking about this thing called a widget and what you could do with it. Unfortunately for him, he had to talk to me like a 3 year old in order for me to comprehend. Signing Marco, was my first introduction to this new social media era. About a year and a half later, he referred me to a blogger who needed help creating a brand. This was in March of 2008. Now with one tech guru and one blogger added to my roster, I suddenly became fascinated with the entire landscape and how I could integrate my PR knowledge to create better service offerings for my clients.

So now, here we are. I am a twitter junkie, an internet addict, and a true social media socialite. Thank you for taking time to read about "lil ole me." I hope you find this blog entertaining, amusing, and informative.

0 comments: